Saturday, September 12, 2026

Without Hammer and Nails

 

I’d like to build a large room, one window and a door.  Inside this room I would scatter all sorts of geometric shapes, of all different sizes.  There would be cones and cubes, pyramids and triangles, cylinders and hemispheres.  In through the window I would pour sunlight.  Of course it wouldn’t come in alone, shadows always tag along.  

The light would strike the cube, making one side bright.  And the moment light hit the sphere, it would roll across the top, running a shadow up the wall.  Now, not only do we have shapes and contrast, but we also have movement.  The shadows, of course, add an element of danger, so now this room also contains tension.  It seems to be filling up quickly. 

I never mentioned if any of the shapes had color, but if they did, we’d have to include tone and reflection.  So far, this entire room has been constructed of pure thought.  I have built it on your mental real estate.  I know you can see it, the shapes and shadows, the textures and the geometry.  It’s all there.  And if I were to pipe in some music, I’m guessing it would be Pink Floyd.  The Dark side of the Moon.  Not my first choice, but it seems to go with the furniture.

 


 

 

 ZC

No comments: