Thursday, September 24, 2026

Riviting

 

        Some years ago, we owned a house that had a swimming pool in the backyard.  Every now and then I would have to rescue various things from the water, like clumsy squirrels, our own dog and once in a while a frog or two.

        So, what surprised me this morning was finding a tiny frog swimming around inside the coffee pot reservoir.  Yes, you heard me correctly.  The coffee maker in our kitchen had a small frog inside the water tank that is attached to the side of the system.

        OK, so how did it get there?  How did it get into the house and then into the kitchen?  We fill the reservoir from the kitchen faucet.  Surely the frog didn’t travel through the entire water supply.  Across the neighborhood, using the water pipes, and pop out here.  That would have been one heck of an adventure.  Maybe even a Disney movie.

        Could be it was attracted by the scent of dark roast, or possibly hazelnut.  There is a certain attraction to the aroma of coffee, and who knows how sensitive a frog’s nose is?  But this guy would have to be Houdini to get past all of the barriers that exist between some froggy swamp and our coffee pot.

        I removed the plastic lid from the water tank and using a large soup spoon, I scooped the frog out of the water and just looked at it for a moment.  I wanted to ask if I was now going to get three wishes, but I restrained myself.  It just sat there on the spoon and looked back at me.  Not so much as a thank you.  Nothing.

        It is all together possible that it is my dead neighbor, reincarnated as a frog.  He always enjoyed coming over for coffee and talking about all the other neighbors.  He enjoyed gossiping as much as he did his morning coffee.  But if that is true, what do I do with him now?

        “I’m going to put you outside now, Frank.  It’s time to hop on home.”

 

 

 

 

 

ZC

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: