According to all reports, here is the sequence of events leading up to the incident. Now, with a lean-in sentence like that, wouldn’t you expect something substantial to follow? I know I did.
Some fishermen are skilled at baiting the hook, while others are better used for fetching the beer.
Whenever I’m fishing for a new book in the library, I keep pulling up the ones that need to be thrown back. I find the majority of books tend to smell like the bait. They have worn-out stories, tired plots – if any, and words only used to impress someone. Who? I haven’t a clue.
It could very well be that I need to cast a wider net. Expand my selection process, be more inclusive and perhaps a little less picky.
I’ve not given up. I’ll keep searching for that perfect storyteller. That one book, sitting there tucked in between all of those dust jackets. I don’t know yet if it will send off some kind of glow or maybe produce a low frequency hum as I reach for it, but the odds are, it will make itself known.
And once I find it, I
shall enjoy the action of every very verb, rejoice in the array of metaphors, and be
startled by the twist, the one I should have seen coming, had I been paying
attention, instead of allowing myself to be consumed by the literary skill of
the author.
It’s out there. I know it is.
ZC

No comments:
Post a Comment