I couldn’t help but make a crunching sound with every step. It must be next to impossible to walk through the woods and be completely silent. I’m sure that whatever forest creatures are here, can obviously hear me coming and will scamper away, or burrow into their underground homes, or climb a tree.
Bears and mountain lions I doubt would be concerned about me. Perhaps curious. And I’m positive neither one scampers. As long as I am here and making my way to the far side, it is best if I put the thought of bears and mountain lions out of my thinking. It doesn’t help and only adds to my stress.
It makes sense, though, that if I am making crunching sounds as I walk, they should too. Them being just as heavy as me and likely more so, I will focus on hearing the odd crunch as I step. Although that isn’t putting them out of my thoughts, it is bringing them front and center.
I remember the movie,
The Hunt for Red October. Every so often
the sub would turn around to make sure nothing was behind them. Maybe I should do that as well. It’s times like this I ask myself how I got
myself into this situation. Why am I
here and what was so wrong with where I was?
No comments:
Post a Comment