Friday, September 18, 2026

Lost & Found

 

Somehow a fragment of a memory slipped between the sofa cushions.  From the looks of it, it had been there for some time.  In fact, it took me a while before I even remembered what it was making reference too.

As soon as it came back to me, I wondered if I should call the detective, the one who had declared the case closed.  This tidbit shed a completely different light on the timeline.  But did I really want to open that can of worms again?  Maybe not.  Of course, if I didn’t, would that now make me an accessory? 

It has been so long now, does it even still matter?  I know that if I just toss it away, the thought of it will fester.  I sure don’t want this hanging over my head forever.  It isn’t like the wrong person is sitting in jail.  Maybe that detective has retired.  It’s possible there is nobody left in the department that remembers this case. 

But you know what?  If this timeline is true, then the wrong person is sitting in a cell.  They couldn’t have done it.  They never could have made it there in time, which means that lady’s testimony was a lie.  But what would she have to gain by lying? 

OH, wait…  This is from that library book.  That’s where this is from.  None of this really happened.  I was using this as a bookmark.  I wonder… did I ever return that?

 

 

    ZC

No comments: