Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Samuel (Sam) Parker

 

I can’t remember ever seeing him without a hat.  He wore it while driving, and even in the supermarket he had it on, and when coming over for our weekly poker games he wore it.  I know he wasn’t bald, so that wasn’t it.  If he had a really strong poker hand, he’d turn his hat backwards and say, “Save your money, boys, I’ve got this one.”  The thing of it was, sometimes he’d be bluffing, and scoop up a healthy pot, just because we all had dropped out.

He didn’t look like himself without his hat.  I don’t know what it was, but they just went together.   I recall being at his funeral and seeing his coffin at the front of the church.  The lid was closed and his hat sat on top of the lid.  It made everyone in the church smile just seeing it.  That was just the kind of thing he’d do.

 


 


        ZC

 

 

No comments: