Friday, September 27, 2024

Yes, it's just that quick.

 

    As it turns out, the great disturbance in the force was actually a slight shift in time.  Suddenly I am the old man sitting on the bench at the mall.  Shoppers are walking past.  Either they don’t see me or pretend not to.  Perhaps, afraid I might engage them in conversation, ultimately asking them for something.

    Most, if not all, are looking at their cell phones.  How sad they can’t see the passing of time right before them.  They are young, they feel good and have plans for the future.

    “Hello, I am the future.  My right hand has grown a cane, my face has sprouted glasses.  I hurt everywhere, and oh – by the way…  you never see the disturbance coming.  It’s like suddenly you’re sitting here remembering this was once woods and not a mall at all."

    Okay, now I see it.  Now I see why they don't stop to talk.  I'm just another old guy, remembering how it used to be.  Yikes!  I wouldn't have stopped to talk to me either. 








 

 

No comments: