Saturday, September 21, 2024

Elk Migration

 

The first time I caught sight of the majestic beast it was casually standing in a clearing, on a table across from a bookcase, in a lawyer’s office.  The base looked to be solid brass, and the elk had extensive antlers and a regal look about it.  Even without the lamp aspect it was impressive.  The lampshade looked to be made of imitation buckskin.  It was classy and rich in appearance.  The light it was generating gave an expensive glow to the room.

It was two years later when I spotted her on a page in Aficionado, a cigar magazine.  Her surroundings were different, but she still stood proud and quite impressive.  I didn’t even want to think what cigar smoke would do to her shade.  Had I not been in a waiting room, with several other people, I would have torn the page out and kept it.

My last encounter was in Colorado, at Steamboat Ski Resort.  She stood quietly to the left of the massive fireplace.  She looked good there.   She looked to be at home.  I don’t know if it was the warmth of the fire or the beautiful elk lamp, but I felt good just being there and seeing it once again.  She’d come a long way and this looked to be the perfect spot.  She looked rested.







 

 




1 comment:

Pauline said...

"Majestic" is a great word to describe this animal!