Monday, September 9, 2024

Little Wooden Boat

 

The small boat anchored just offshore seemed to enjoy the rhythm of the rolling waves.  It looked more than content; it looked inviting.  Not that I had any desire to be sitting out in it.  Just looking at it with an artist’s eye it appeared to nicely blend into its surroundings.   There is a harmony about it.   Unfortunately, I had neither my camera nor the talent to paint it, so here it shall float on the surface of this paragraph.

I’m fairly sure the seagulls agreed with me.  Their calls are frequent and close.  In fact, one has just landed and perched on the side rail of the small boat while I'm  sitting here watching it.  It too, looks like it is enjoying the slow rolling motion.  Such freedom, to fly anywhere, land on whatever and enjoy the moment.

If it weren’t for the smell around here, I’d enjoy it a great deal more.  Maybe it is the stench of fish that keeps the birds hanging around.   The word stench, in this instance, is right on the mark.   Wow.  I’d like to stay here long enough to watch the sunset, but I don’t think my nose can take it anymore.

This will be my last trip down to the beach.  Tomorrow we move to yet another town.  I’m glad I made a point to get down here one last time.  I think I will carry the image of the floating boat with me for a long while, and maybe this smell in my clothes as well.

 




1 comment:

Pauline said...

You painted such a beautiful scene in my mind - and then brought back the stench I remembered from the fish market! Boo Hiss