Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Making Dust

 

It was just a country gravel road, full of ruts and potholes and plenty of dust if you drove too fast.  There was thick brush, and buggy woods along each side.  Once in a while, there would be what looked like a seldom used driveway heading off into the shadows.  I often wondered who lives back in there, with the mosquitoes and bears.

I tried to imagine what kind of person would live where there are no streetlights or neighbors.  Not even sure about electricity or running water.  How far must they drive just to go shopping?  I can’t imagine they have a computer and order stuff on-line.  This does not seem like an Amazon route. 

How brave would I have to be to turn down one of these mysterious driveways and go knock on a door?  “Hi, I just wanted to see your place, with its tiny kitchen, hand crank can opener and burnt pans.  By the way, what’s that smell?  If that is a closet door, then what is scratching on it from inside?"

 No, I don’t think I’ll drive down that driveway to see what’s down there.  In fact, now I’m just hoping my car doesn’t break down out here.  Maybe I’ll just drive a little faster.




No comments: