Monday, September 23, 2024

I think I have figured it out

 

I sat out in the driveway.  It was summer and so I had a cold glass of iced tea.  Various neighbors walked past walking their dogs.  Some would wave and some did not.  Here’s the thing…  If I were on a passing boat, everyone standing on the shore would wave.  Why is that?  What is it about the situation that generates 100% participation?  Really, I am curious.  The people walking past me are neighbors.  They know where I live, we have things in common, and yet, because I am not on a passing boat, they ignore me.

What does that say about us humans?  I think it is the power of suggestion.  Because the people along the shore can see the ocean making waves, they too feel compelled to do the same.  I think that’s it.





 

 

1 comment:

Pauline said...

Perhaps a little encouragement such as a smile or a very loud "HOWDY NEIGHBOR" may do the trick for those that do not wave:)