Sunday, August 30, 2026

It all happened so quickly

 

It was very crisp in the morning.  In fact, there was a coating of frost on the lawns.  Most of the neighbors walking their dogs had jackets on.  Not crazy Earl, of course.  He wore his usual Hawaiian shirt, shorts and flip-flops.  His dog, Simon, had a doggie sweater at least.  I should have snapped a picture.  It was quite a sight.

Just seeing the way crazy Earl was dressed gave me a shiver, but as I watched him getting further down the road, I could feel a thumping, and I could hear it as well.  It was quickly getting louder.  Now I could hear it throughout the house and my windows were shaking.

Above the racket I could hear Simon barking frantically and then I saw the lower rungs of the helicopter as they came into view and the thing landed right there in the middle of the road.  This was certainly a first for our neighborhood.  A helicopter setting down in the street. 

I hadn’t noticed it at first, but Earl had turned around and was now walking back towards the chopper.  The pilot climbed out and seemed to stand at attention and salute Earl as he walked up.  Earl returned the salute.  The pilot said something and the pilot, crazy Earl and Simon all climbed into the helicopter and off they went. 

Could all of those crazy Earl stories been true?  Suddenly it felt like they were.  My house stopped shaking once the chopper was out of range.  The neighborhood was again quiet.  With my coffee cup now empty I headed out to the kitchen, trying hard to remember some of the tall tales Earl had told all of us.  This was going to be an interesting week.

 

 

 

 

 

 ZC