Monday, August 10, 2026

A Clash of Symbols

 

        As I understand it, the symbol for knowledge, by the Yaqui Indians of central Mexico, is the moth.  The reason for this eludes me, for just today I discovered a moth along the edge of the carpet in my bathroom.  It obviously had not made an exit strategy, which one might think would have been covered in Home Invasions 101.

        My secondary thought was that the Yaqui Indians did not have porch lights.  If they had, they certainly could have had an abundance of moths to test and question.

        If I were pressed to come up with my own symbol for knowledge, I’d have to say it would be the eraser.  To me, that symbolizes someone who has tried.  Most of us learn from our mistakes, and learning generates knowledge. As far as I know, erasers are not drawn to a flame, nor do they get themselves trapped in light fixtures.

    Anyway, that's what I would pick.




        ZC