Sunday, August 9, 2026

Luck and Superstition

 

In the pockets of old coats is a history of a life passed.  Be it a stubby golf pencil or an old Lifesaver now stuck to the material, it tells a story.  In this particular story, Nelson Vicksburg recalls standing on the fairway at Cliffridge Country Club and then nothing.

He remembers waking up in a hospital room, flowers and cards along the window ledge, a nurse writing something on a clipboard at the end of his bed and a stranger on a chair next to him, holding his hand.

There was a television up on the wall with a flickering picture, but no sound.  Nelson closed his eyes and tried to take a quick mental inventory of his present condition. 

He felt fine, he could wiggle his fingers and toes, and he felt the person holding his hand give it a squeeze.   He opened his eyes again and looked directly at the stranger next to him.

 

“Do we know each other?”

 

“Good-morning Nelson.  It’s good to see you awake.  You gave us all quite a scare.”

 

“What happened?”

 

“Nelson, you were hit by a golf ball, and you dropped like a rock.”

 

“I’m sorry, who are you again?”


“Nelson, my name is Charley.  Charley Baler. I was the guy who joined your foursome. You borrowed my lucky pencil, and I’d like to get it back.”

 

 "and the reason you're holding my hand?"

 

 "Sorry, I was just trying to wake you up.  I have a tournament in the morning and  really need my lucky pencil back."




 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

Pauline said...

Yikes! That guy is all heart!!!