My pal Chuck was right. After school, yesterday, he was telling me about this theory he came up with. I really wasn’t paying close attention, but it was something about survival of the fittest, whatever that is.
He tends to go on and on about stuff. After a while, it’s just blah, blah, blah. But this time he showed me what he was talking about.
He said it had to do with evolution and how things survive. Then he pointed out all of the tiny wild mushrooms in his yard. Then he pointed at the large riding mower the lawn guy was driving around on, and how his helper was going behind him with a weed-whipper.
I said, yes, I see they do a good job, but what does that have to do with your theory of only the strong surviving?
We then walked back to where all of the tiny, young mushrooms were and they were all gone. The riding mower had chopped off their heads and scattered their bodies to the wind, but the strongest mushroom had survived both the killer blades of the riding mower as well as the sting of the weed-whipper.
Chucky was
right. The proof was right there at my
feet. I suggested he write this theory
down and show it to someone. He said
maybe he would, but for now he was working on a way to get out of gym class
tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment