Monday, August 24, 2026

After Hours

 

I have a photographer’s eye.  My ability is to see beauty in all things.  A flower at sunset or a stapler posing next to a desk lamp.  Each has a quality that is reflected in either color or black and white.  The music can still be heard, no matter the subject. 

I was on campus walking around with my camera when I noticed a person leaning against a brick wall.  Right next to them was a window that looked out over a field.  If I stood to their left, I could capture their outline with the glass pane and light of the outside.  Both the glass in the window and the person’s complexion were not that good, but could be manipulated once on film.

I took several shots, on various settings.  When I was done I handed them my business card and told them I would get the photos to them once they were ready.  By that time the lunch hour had expired, and we all had to be back in class.  It was when I was walking back to the classroom when I awoke.  I had dreamt the entire event, and yet it was so real the minute I was awake I looked around for my camera.  I couldn’t believe it had taken place in my sleep.

And yet I still have that image, just as I had seen it.  The person, the glass pane and the lighting. it developed just fine, even though it was after hours.

 

 

 

    ZC