Sunday, October 6, 2024

When it is done right

 

There are some notes played on a horn that can just carry you off to someplace else.  It is a mellow sound that seems to stimulate that part of your brain that looks more inward than out.   There isn’t any thinking involved, it just happens.  You mentally follow it blindly, for it is one of those rides that causes absolutely everyone to say, “Let’s go again.  Let’s do it again.” You never want it to end.

Only once, did I experience this with a violin.  It was magical.  I was surrounded by strangers, while at the same time off in my own little world.  The sound seemed to make a connection, but to what, I don’t know.  Were I a better writer, I’d be able to put it into words but that is not the case.  Then again, isn’t that the point of music.  No words required, no grammatical rules, no punctuation, just pure storytelling that extends beyond the margins.

 

No comments: