Sunday, October 6, 2024

A Peripheral Blur

 

At first, I thought it was a low flying bird.  It was going very fast and low to the ground.  But as I looked up, I could see it did not have wings, but four feet.  My first thought was that something must be chasing it for it to be going that fast.  It was like it was trying with all its might to get away.

        Too small to be a coyote, yet too large for a rabbit.  Now I wish I had been looking out the window, instead of at this keyboard.  This isn’t the kind of neighborhood to have a jaguar or cougar.  A Corvette is more like it around here, but no – it wasn’t a car.

        This is now one of those things that will get tucked into the back pocket of my brain, forever to be another unknown.  It won’t fester, for I have already resigned myself to the fact that I’ll never have an answer.  It won’t be alone back there.  In fact, I’m getting quite a collection of blurs, glimpses and what was that’s?

        I first knew that brains had back pockets when I was sitting in class one day and the instructor put a diagram of a human brain up on the board.  It was our job to identify the shaded area.  The instructor was looking over my shoulder as I wrote, back pocket.  He smiled, so I knew I was right.





No comments: