Monday, March 18, 2024

The Big Picture

 

     

    The trend today seems to require a bigger flat screen television than the one you already have.

    My issue isn’t with the size of the picture, but rather with the amount of commercials in it.  So I set out on a journey to find a commercial free television set.

    My first stop was at an appliance store in our hometown that has been there as long as I can remember, Home Town Appliance.  Ned Hamilton was the first salesman to approach me as I entered.

    I explained to Ned that I wanted a new TV, I didn’t care what size it was, but it mustn’t contain any advertising.  Ned’s first reaction was to laugh.  He apparently thought I was kidding.  I calmly explained to him that I was serious and to please check his inventory to see if he had one.

    Ned returned with Wally, the store manager.  Wally told me they didn’t have any control over television programming, commercials, or content of any kind.  All they had were standard television sets, just as they come from the factory.  I thanked them for their time and said I would try a different store.

    Baker’s Kitchen & Appliance was my next stop.  Susan was the saleslady and her reaction to my request was to reach out and pinch my arm, saying I was one funny guy.

    Again, I ended up speaking with the store manager, and again I heard the same excuses.  They didn’t have any control over what was being broadcast.  Susan then interrupted the manager to tell me that she attended community college in the evenings, and that her instructor would be a good person for me to talk to.  She seemed to think that he was well versed in the world of broadcasting and may have a solution to my problem.

    As it turned out, Professor Dannels liked to hear himself talk.  He went on and on about the free enterprise system, America’s marketplace and greed.  Greed being his primary focus.  “That sir, is the bigger picture.”

 

I’m just going to try a different store but thank you anyway.



Note:
It's been said that a ship without a rutter
will hit stuff.  Without adult supervision
free enterprise will eventually implode.
American goods and services will morph 
into that which China has already become.
Quality will be reduced to the lowest level,
while consumers will continue to accept less.

The best we can hope for is to not become cynical. 

😏




 

 






 

 

1 comment:

Pauline said...

Dude - try finding blinker fluid! It's even harder.