Friday, March 1, 2024

Hawk Airlines

 

    At dusk yesterday, while sitting at my desk, I noticed a small field mouse fly across a back-lit sky.

    It wasn't exactly flying but was being carried in the clutches of a hawk.  It didn't look comfortable so I'm guessing it was flying coach.

    Squished into it's seat with not so much as a peanut to munch on.  I could tell it wasn't enjoying the view.  Not being accustomed to that altitude  it's little eyes were closed and it's legs and tail were just drooping in the breeze.


    The sight of this reminded me of Simon & Garfunkel singing that they would rather be a hammer than a nail.  Or given the choice, they'd rather be a forest than a street.  


    What about the choices of the field mouse?  Was he to stand still, not move and hopefully go undetected, or to scurry beneath a bush and hope for the best?  Did he even know he needed to make a quick decision, or suffer the plight of an airline, with their cramped seating, confining seatbelts and turbulence?   Not to mention their sharp, greedy claws digging into the soft underbelly of your wallet. 


    And what's this deal with no peanuts?  Now what's that all about?  Just because some rat from Ashtray, Wisconsin has an allergy...  Hey, don't get me going.











1 comment:

Pauline said...

Well, I heard that the pilot got sidetracked by an eagle and actually made an emergency landing. Our little field mouse is fine and back home with his family. Yep - I love a good ending.