Tuesday, October 16, 2012

"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities...

 
 
 
Truth isn't." 

 
 
20 Years to Life  
      I wouldn't have made a good judge.  My tendency is to believe a story when it's told convincingly.   I am much more gullible than I let on.  A gullible judge would be like having to deal with a dead house painter.  OK, maybe not; I couldn't come up with something clever there so I'll just leave it at that. 

 

      A few good sentences however make my day.  I could read a truly great paragraph over and over again.  There is just something about it that draws me in and keeps me, for that moment, from looking back at the rest of the world.  I am drawn into the action.  I can actually hear the sputter of the two-seater plane flying overhead, or the sporadic heart murmur working its way up the stethoscope to the Doctor's ears. 

 

"Once more…  Breathe in.  Hold it."

 

      On the other hand, I would have enjoyed being a lawyer.  It is with skillful English the law is argued.  A heartfelt sentence can grab a juror with the force of teeth pulling at a hangnail. 

 

      Although there is the stage fright aspect of being up in front, having the entire courtroom listening to you, not to mention the judge and prosecutor waiting to pounce on your every mistake.  But to be a trial lawyer would have been a profession I think I would have enjoyed.

 

      Of course I would want the, I HAD MY FINGERS CROSSED clause in there, just in case I were to get myself into trouble.  I would always, however, put the interest of my client before my own dignity. 

      Assuming I bought a lotto ticket, and further assuming I won,  I could then afford to sign up for law school.   In four short years I would be 69 and a fresh graduate but with no practical experience.   Most likely I would be 84 + before ever seeing the inside of a courtroom.  I would look old and seasoned even though I would really just be old.  I would be hoping that my client didn't ask how many cases like his I've done before, or what my success rate was.

      On second thought, I don't think I'd go through all that if I hit the lotto.  Maybe I'd just enjoy a refreshing beverage and watch Matlock.   After all, who would hire a lawyer who was crazy enough to think he was going to hit the lotto?

      As you see from the above section, I broke away from my usual, HOW I SPENT MY SUMMER VACATION format and just jumped in with some of the odd and dismembered thoughts I've played with during this past week.  This in itself is daring, as I've noticed that the number of you who were writing back has dropped off sharply.  I may be scaring some of you, I'm not sure.

 

 

 




         

No comments: