Sunday, October 21, 2012

Cooking with Mittens



There are many things they neglect to mention on the cooking shows, important things that had I known - may have saved me a bundle.
 
          When making cookies from a recipe that calls for a stick of butter, it is important to let the butter soften completely before attempting to blend it into the mix.
 
1.       Burnt out mixer:            $63.95
 
          Whenever flicking something off of your sharp kitchen knife into the sink make sure the blade of the knife does not accidentally whack off a chunk of the faucet.
 
2.       Kitchen Faucet:      $278.50
 
          Placing food sprinkled with olive oil into a 400° oven will fill the kitchen with smoke.
 
3.       Kitchen curtains:              $27.00
4.       Smoke Alarm:                 $31.00
5.       Smoke Alarm Battery:     $2.79
 
Of course, there are many other things that I have discovered; however, I shall share those on another day.
 
I will mention that peeling hard-boiled eggs is my least favorite thing.  In searching the Internet for an easy way to peel them, I found a video showing this person breaking off both ends of the eggshell and then blowing the hard-boiled egg out, using his mouth.  Talk about disgusting.  You will never see me going to his house for egg salad. 
 
As long as I am on the subject of germ-fest 2000, let me tell you…  We were walking through the store last weekend when we saw this.  It is one of those stores that have people stationed at various end-caps handing out food samples.
The person was wearing gloves as they should but unconsciously, as they were preparing the snacks, they were bringing their hand up to their mouth and licking the excess cracker spread off their fingers, and then reaching down to the tray and fixing the next one.   OMG!
 
I may be an expensive person to have around the kitchen, but rest assured, the place is spotless before I start cooking, and after I am done.  I have always had a clean as you go policy, which has eliminated the large clean up at the end of cooking.  Being ever conscious of germs and proper hygiene practices it just comes naturally.
 
So when you come in the house please remove your shoes and put on one of the portable sneeze-guards that are stacked on the entryway table.
 
 
Thanks
 
 
 
 
         


No comments: