Thursday, October 11, 2012

Hoisted by their own Petard



          The glitch was on the other end of my computer cable, that is, according to the AT&T representative that I waited thirty seven minutes to talk with, press one for English.

 

            The basic problem was my email system had lost it’s will to live.  It couldn’t bring itself to send or receive messages and so it became quickly depressed and confused, asking me over and over again for my password.  It was a simple password, the same one I have used for years, so you would think it would recognize it on sight.  Not so.  Your call is important to us, please stay on the line.

 

            Unable to help me and sounding a little frustrated themselves, they told me to shut it all down – go away for two hours and then crank it up and try again.  Have you tried to solve this problem using our Website?

 

            Just about four hours later I tried the system again, only now, after having so many different AT&T service technicians change my password and make their own attempts, I no longer knew which one to use.  I therefore attempted my log-in and when it came time to enter the password I chose the line that read, I forgot my password.  This way their system would have to give me yet another new one and I would know that it was now the most current one.  Please stay on the line; I am going to switch you to our VERY technical support person.  One moment…

 

            Here’s the fun part; their system wanted to email me the new password, you know, send it to the system that can’t receive messages.

 

            Now I had two choices, the first one was once again calling their 1-800 number and working my way through the automated maze, which always – no matter which number you punch leads you to the holding tank, where you swim around with other unfortunates, listening to an endless stream of commercials telling you how great and wonderful they are.  The second option, (Please remain on the line as calls are answered in the order they were received) is to shut it all off and go and fix a refreshing beverage.

I of course selected #2.

           

             I had thought about using this for the next Sunday Morning email but then thought better of it, for if you are not reading this right now you’ll know they never solved the problem and my email has succumbed to a rabid gigabyte.  If, on the other hand, you are enjoying a delicious scone, a cup of freshly brewed coffee and are, at this very moment, reading this sentence, then consider that you are witnessing a minor miracle.  Would you mind taking a brief survey to let us know how we did?

 

 

 

1 comment:

Pauline said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.