Thursday, October 11, 2012

Seabiscuit and Gravy


“The Road to Hell is paved with Good Intentions”


 

 

            I thought I was being kind, good-hearted and thoughtful.  Now I am paying dearly for my lapse in judgment.    

 

            It began simply enough.  I was shopping at Kroger’s, in aisle 7 to be precise; other customers were scrutinizing detergent ingredients, squeezing melons and navigating their carts at about the same skill level as they drive their cars.  I was standing in front of an array of cat food choices, Mixed Grille, 9 Lives Super Supper, Little Friskies, Ocean Delight, Essence of Secretariat… the choices went on and on, row after row.  I thought the little guy would enjoy a change, something different to perk up his meal time.  How could he not delight in a variety of choices?

 

            Now, as it turns out, it has become a guessing game; which flavor is he boycotting today?  Oh I see; it’s the one I just opened.  It’s always the one I just opened.  Okay, I’ll try to remember he is now off Tuna Face Surprise.  Having no idea what any of these taste like I can’t really know what level of disgusting I’m dealing with.  Of course I am mentally envisioning massive vats of fish heads, road kill and Mr. Ed Pate` swirling around as they make this stuff at the cat food factory; an occasional whisker bobbing up along with a stench that would peel the paint off an aircraft carrier, but that part of it he doesn’t seem to mind.  Apparently the part that bothers him, (Him being Woody the Obnoxious) is when I find it on sale and buy a case load of it.  Then, all of a sudden, that’s the stuff on his naughty list.

 

            None of this was previously calculated into our retirement budget and having 13 half open cans festooning the fridge creates a whole other array of problems, whose only solution, Claudia suggests, is to add more cats.

 

            One thought, however, did cross my mind.  As I wouldn’t put it past the cat food industry to simply slap different labels on the same emulsified by-products, why don’t I just mix all these various open containers into one delightful taste treat?  As I’m dishing it out for his dinner I can really talk it up, you know – “Yum, boy this looks good.  Sure wish I had some of this.  Hey, is this a scrumptious piece of hoof I see?” 

 

            Then I thought that maybe my behavior was becoming too much like Cliff Claven, the mailman from Cheers.  He would bring odd vegetables from his garden into the bar and explain to other customers how the potato he grew looked like Richard Nixon, or how the bumps on the squash seemed to form a perfect map of New England.  So before I fall off the deep end like Cliff and try using psychology on a cat, I think I’ll just explain to him how millions of cats in Europe don’t even have television and have never seen Cheers.

 

 

 

1 comment:

Pauline said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.