Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Jerk - A True Story


            There are a few stories I have written on this blog that have been designed for children and young adults.  They are simply cute, little adventure stories for entertainment. This story, however, is an episode taken right from the pages of my life.  I have shared it with a few people and will now place it on this blog for the entire blog-seeing world to view.  It is a true story.

 

            The time was a little after five pm.  I had just gotten off of work and was driving home.  It is approximately a 22 mile trek from Rochester to Clarkston.  The snow was piled along the sides of the freeway but it had been cleared from the surface of the roads.  The traffic was thick but moving at a rather brisk pace, considering the conditions.

 

            I was in the far left lane, (usually referred to as the fast lane), when my little Chevy S-10 pick-up truck hit a patch of ice. It immediately began spinning and as it spun it was making its way in, through and around all of the cars around me.  I was holding on for deer life to the steering wheel and all I could see flashing before me was headlights, fenders and a general blur, like you might see while on an out-of-control merry-go-round.

 

            I kept waiting for a crash, some sudden impact followed by a news-breaking 500 car pile-up, with horns blowing and people screaming and helicopters filming it for the six pm news.  But there was none of that.  My truck came to rest on the opposite side of the four lane freeway.  The gravel had kept me from sliding completely off into oblivion.

 

            I couldn’t believe I had not hit a single car as I spun across all the lanes of traffic.  It was absolutely amazing.  My heart was pounding and I just sat there for a minute trying to catch my breath and calm down.  I released my grip on the steering wheel and said a private little “Thank you” to whoever it was watching over me.

 

            Now, as my heart rate was getting back to normal, I had to figure out what to do.  It was dark, I was facing the on-coming traffic, sitting on the shoulder of the freeway.  There was no possible way to turn my truck around so it was facing the right way.  I couldn’t go any further left or I’d slide down into the ditch; and immediately to my right was all the freeway traffic that was once again whizzing by me only inches from my passenger door.

I knew my headlights must have been causing them a problem but there was no way I was going to turn them off.

 

            The only option I had was to stay along the edge of the road, keeping on the gravel and back up until I reached the next off ramp.  Then I would have to merge onto the off ramp while driving backwards; Continue driving up the off ramp backwards until I could find a big enough spot where I could get turned around facing the right way.  So that is exactly what I did.  Trust me, if you think getting people to merge is difficult, try doing it while you're driving backwards.

 

            OK, so about halfway up the ramp I figured it was wide enough for me to get turned around.  Fortunately the car behind me (or in front of me) saw what I was trying to do and stayed back a ways, giving me enough room to make my maneuver.

 

 

            Now that I was once again facing the same direction as the flow of traffic I had to get right back onto the freeway as the exit to my house was still one mile further north.

 

            I merged into the flow and as soon as I did I noticed a car off on the side of the road.  I didn’t see anyone in it.  Just a little further ahead I saw a lady trudging through the snow towards the next off ramp.  She looked well dressed and obviously wasn’t prepared to be tromping through the snow.  I pulled off onto the gravel and rolled the passenger window down.  She looked over at me and I asked if she needed a ride. 

 

            She smiled and was excited to get in out of the cold and snow.

 

            “Where do you need to go?” I asked.

 

            “Thank you.  I just need to get to the gas station at the next exit.  There is a phone there and I can call my friend for help.”

 

 

            “It looks like your car broke down back there.” I said.

 

            “Yea, some jerk was driving backwards down the freeway and has traffic backed up for miles.  My car overheated.”

 

 

 

            I dropped her off at the gas station and then headed home.  I couldn’t bring myself to tell her that I was the jerk.

No comments: