Thursday, October 1, 2026

The Red Hat Ladies

 

I noticed how various groups create peculiarities that identify them as members of that group.  What got me thinking about that is the fact that I don’t eat fish.  Never have.  Right away that would prevent me from becoming Jewish or Catholic.   Lox and bagels sound fishy to me, and of course I’d never partake of Fish on Friday.  So, neither of those groups would want me as a member.

The Shriners are out just because I’d never fit into one of those tiny cars they drive around in parades.  Not to mention how I’d look wearing one of those hats. 

For lack of antlers, I’d have a hard time gaining access into the Moose, or Elks lodges and without any armor I’m guessing the Knights of Columbus would never invite me to their round table.  (Possibly the kids table, but I doubt it)

Because I always carry one or two pens with me, I tried joining a writer’s group.  They didn’t have any exams for me to take and never asked for an example of anything I had written.  They simply said, “OK, you’re in.”  I found that to be just a little depressing.  I never went back. 

I remember when I was young, I signed up to join the Boy Scouts.  I had no idea what they did or anything about them.  I do remember when they questioned me about knots, I naturally assumed they were referring to the knots in my stomach.  Obviously, I was wrong, as they gave me a strange look and all backed away from me.  

Over time I accepted the fact that I just shouldn’t belong to a group or organization.  So, without hat or antlers I stand here as Zobostic Corwin, but as you can see, I still carry my pens.  I am a group of one.

 

 

 

 

 

ZC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: