Thursday, July 23, 2026

Three Socks and a Key

 

The tall grandfather clock had been a regular fixture at the back of the antique shop.  I always admired it but didn’t realize it was for sale.  I thought it belonged to the owner of the shop, but one particularly warm day there was an oscillating fan that just happened to flip up the small white price tag that had been hiding along the side of the clock.

I was excited to see that I could afford it, but how to get it home might be a challenge.  Boris, the owner said that if I could wait until next Monday, he would deliver it.  Of course, I agreed.  Now I had time to make a place for it in my house.  

With the grandfather clock now sitting proudly in its new resting place, I got out a soft cloth and furniture polish and began cleaning it up. I had already polished the glass panels and the brass hinges and fittings.  What I had not done yet was start it, even though I was anxious to hear it chime.  I knew what it sounded like in the antique shop, but here in my house it might just sound a little deeper and richer.  At least, that’s what I was hoping.

I was careful to open the doors gently, as the glass panels looked original.  Replacing them with today’s glass wouldn’t be the same.  These looked handmade or I’m not sure what, but there were tiny air bubbles in the glass and what looked to be a wrinkle.

Inside, on the floor of the clock were extra pieces of chain, two additional iron pinecone weights and an old cigar box, I had assumed also held additional parts, so I was surprised when I opened it and saw three socks and a strange looking key.  My first thought was to call Boris at the antique shop and ask him about it, but then I told myself I could figure it out, so I didn’t call.

None of the socks matched.  Two of them appeared old and maybe were used as dust cloths or for polishing, and one sock had something flat inside of it.   I carefully pulled the top of the sock down and worked the object out of it.  It was a tiny book.  A fancy little thing with art built-in to the cover.  A fancy letter H.

What a nice little treasure.  I bet Boris didn’t know this was in here, I should return it to him.  That following Thursday, I stopped at the antique shop and found Boris sitting back by a display of old wireframe reading glasses.  He was tightening a little screw with one of those tiny screwdrivers that come in a repair kit for glasses. 

I placed the book on the counter and told him I found it inside the grandfather clock and thought he should have it back.  The minute he saw it he smiled.  

 

“Inside of a sock.  Right?”

 

Yes, how did you know?

 

“It’s the kids.  They steal from the store all the time.  They come in here and if they see me watching them, they won’t take anything right then.  They slip it into a sock and drop it into the base of the clock, to be picked up later.  The sock muffles the sound of the item landing.  They think I don’t know what they’re doing. 

That’s terrible.  Why do you let them come in?

I have spoken with Jason’s father.  Jason is the worst of them.  He seems to be their leader.  His father doesn’t want his kid to end up with a police record, so he tells me to keep track of the stolen items, and he’ll pay me for them.  

 

That sounds like a strange way to raise your kid.

 

“Yes, I think so too.  He’s never going to learn as long as his dad keeps covering up his mistakes.”

 

There is also a small key inside the clock.  Any idea what it is for?  I didn’t think to bring it with me.

 

“A small, odd-looking key, right?”

 

Yes.

 

“I originally purchased that clock from an estate sale.  It came with instructions.  The key was to remain with the clock until such time that a family member of the deceased came looking for it.  Apparently, it was written into the will that the key and the clock were to stay together.  Only a family member would be allowed to claim the key.  Any family member.

The old man didn’t mind leaving his fortune to anyone in his family, but he thought it would be more fun if they had to hunt for it.  His entire estate was sprinkled with clues, that key is just one of them.”

 

Well, I’ll leave it right where it is.  If they come looking for it, that’s where it will be.

 

 



ZC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


1 comment:

Pauline said...

You have captured my curiosity. Waiting patiently for chapter two!