Wednesday, July 29, 2026

From the back room

On Mondays and Thursdays

No matter the day

 

I walk into town

It’s a footpath away –

 

I buy up a butter, an egg

And some booze

 

I pick up a bread and yesterday’s news

 

My cabin’s decrepit

A shambles to see

 

But just out of town

It’s a castle to me –

 

I have me a table, a chair

And a light

 

And some glowie-eyed creatures

That show up at night

 

I’ve got me a pencil, a pad

And some chew –

 

I occasionally spit

After writing to you

 

For all that I have

There’s just one thing I lack

 

A friend with a pencil

To just write me back –

 

Someone with a table

A bread and an egg

 

A folded up matchbook

Stuck under one leg –

 

A friend who could write

With nothing to say

 

And send it to me

Just a footpath away –

 

Then I’d have me a tree

With an old tripping root

 

The one that I curse

When I fall on my snoot –

 

I’d have all the things

On this glorious day

 

For I’d have gotten letter

from a footpath away –

 

It’s on cloudy Wednesdays

I strike up a fire –

 

I click up the lamp

Only one click up higher

 

I take out the book

Though I’ve read it before –

 

And flip where I left off

No - one page before

 

The hero was chasing

Though he seemed to be late

 

A villain already

Across chapter eight –

 

Tuesday’s of course

I mop up the floor

 

I sweep out the corners

Like never before –

 

And I oil the hinges

That hang every door

 

I load up the washer

With colors and brights –

 

Gather my sweats, my shirts

And my whites –

 

Sprinkle in soap

As the water floods in

 

Then float half a lime

In a small glass of gin –

 

It’s Fridays, of course

That I love to see

 

The air it is fresh

The wind, it is free –

 

It’s a gift that delivers

The weekend to me

 

By Saturday night

My mind is adorning

 

The weekly events

That make Sunday Morning –

 

I arrange and embellish

I garnish and splash –

 

Add too many commas

An occasional dash –

 

I end it when I’ve

Not a thing left to say –

 

And wait for reply

from a footpath away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

ZC

 

  

No comments: