Monday, July 20, 2026

Night Vision

 

Leaping Lizards

They are everywhere throughout my yard.  They are on the trees, in the shrubs and zipping across the sidewalk. I don’t mind them; I think they eat the small bugs that are also everywhere.  I’d be really happy if they ate the mosquitoes, but I doubt they do.

I call them lizards but most call them geckos.   Staying in shape seems important to them, for they are forever doing push-ups.  “Give it a rest, kids.”  They must have good vision, as they can spot the tiny bugs in an instant.  What they don’t have is the ability to see a garage door coming down on the top of them.  That’s unfortunate. 

 The amount of activity in my yard is amazing.  When you consider all of the insects, lizards, a wide variety of birds, squirrels, wild turkeys, racoons, coyotes, possums, armadillos and cranes, I should charge admission.  I didn’t mention the snakes on purpose.  They creep some people out.  I also didn’t mention the things that come out after dark, like deer, wild boar, gators and skunks.

One of our neighbors walks her tiny dog at all times, day or night.  I always thought she should change his name to Snack.  Just seems appropriate.  Here’s the thing…  The dog’s vision is much better than the lady who walks him. During the day, if she spots danger, she picks up the dog and keeps him from harm.  However, when she is out walking him in the darkness of the night, she cannot see the danger, but little Yapper can.


It’s the garage door all over again.

 

 

 

 

 ZC