Friday, August 30, 2024

Maybe Tomorrow

 

The best description for her bicycle would be rickety.  Both tires were wonky, the brakes squeaked loudly, and it never did steer correctly.  As she rode along the side streets the cars passing her always moved way over, afraid she would tumble into them at any moment.

 

There was a battery-operated radio hanging from the handlebars, saddlebags across the rear fender, with her cat looking out from one side and a foldable fishing pole protruding from the other.  Towns people called her Bike Lady, but I doubt anyone actually knew her name.  There were always stories going around about her and bad jokes, usually about her fishing just to feed her cat.

 

I found it to be sad, she lived in this community, yet nobody talked to her, found out about her, nothing.  That really bothered me.  Who was she?  Did she grow-up here, go to school here?  I wondered how I could talk to her without scaring her.  She’d probably think I was trying to sell her something.  Maybe she kept her bicycle that way so no one would steal it.  Did she live in a house, was she homeless?

 

The more I thought about it, the more I felt a sense of urgency.  I didn’t want to be driving home one day and see her crumpled bike laying in the road.  How sad would that be?  A person passing through this life, going completely ignored by everyone.  I could tell this was festering in me, but I didn’t want to do anything stupid, like follow her the  next time I saw her riding.  That would surely creep her out.  Then again, maybe she liked being alone.  Maybe it was her, that didn’t like us, the town’s people.  I guess it was altogether possible she is married.  No.  What kind of husband would leave her bike in such disrepair?

 

        And another thing, where did she fish?  Was she one of the people fishing from the bridge, or was she one of those crazy ones, fishing from the rocks, while the waves crashed around them?  If it was from the bridge, how could you stand there for hours and not talk to the person fishing right next to you?  Someone around here must know her.

 

        I had to get some answers, I really did.  Maybe tomorrow I’ll…  I’ll what?  Buy a can of cat food and follow her?  Steal her bicycle and leave a new one in its place?  I don’t think so.  Why was I getting so obsessive about this?  I should leave her alone, just like the rest of this town.  Mind my own business.

 

        Nope.  That’s not me.

 

 

No comments: