Thursday, November 8, 2012

We're gonna need a bigger boat


 

            I’m not a mainstream movie-goer.  The vast majority of movies being violent and or vulgar tend to be a great cure for any popcorn craving I might have.  I avoid them all - as well as any movies about animals.  Hollywood has always fallen short of compassion and doesn’t hesitate to show Nature’s less attractive side as a form of entertainment.

 

            I do however pick up on famous movie lines even if I’ve never seen the movie.  They become popular and bandied about by the general public; they are referenced in general conversations and over time even people like me find themselves using them.

 

            Exactly what it is that catapults a line or phrase to popularity eludes me.  Perhaps it is the momentary comic relief in the story that lets the audience relax for a moment.  They get to step back from the action and remind themselves that it’s only a movie; these are actors and no one is really getting chopped up by some crazed lunatic zombie.  

 

            Then again maybe it is simply good marketing.  Maybe the catch phrase is designed into the overall selling strategy.  It is put into the trailer and run and rerun to generate interest.  Tossing the line out into the general pool just knowing that the fish will bite and once they’re hooked… Box office receipts skyrocket.

 

            Frankly my dear – I don’t give a damn.  We don’t need no stinken badges. We’ll always have Paris. The thing you gotta ask yourself is, do you feel lucky?  Well do ya? What we have here is a failure to communicate.  Toto – I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore.  I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore.  I love the smell of napalm in the morning. We rob banks. Tomorrow is another day.  Well I’ve dragged this out long enough, so here’s looking at you kid.  May the force be with you.

 

 

            Hasta la vista, Baby

1 comment:

Pauline said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.