Saturday, November 10, 2012

Sometimes age shows up all by itself


 

            I remember it all started when I was very small.  They were all bigger than I was and much older.  They were called adults.  They would tell me what to do, how to act, where to be and of course – what not to do.  They would smile and laugh when they were pleased and yell and hit when they were angry.

 

            As I grew I watched.  I paid attention - not just to the adults around me but to all adults, even the ones on the television.  I would see them do all kinds of things.  Very strange things; most things I didn’t understand. Many things were quite mean-spirited.

 

            Eventually I started school.  Those adults were called teachers, assistant principals and principals.  I watched them as well.  They would gather in groups and laugh, smoke cigarettes and complain about management and paychecks.

 

            When I entered the workforce I discovered layer upon layer of adults called bosses.  They too would smile when pleased and yell when they were angry.  Actually, they weren’t all that different from the little kids I saw on the playground when I was much younger, and they too were mean-spirited, just like the ones I saw on the TV.

 

            The strange thing was, even though I too was now grown and as tall as they were, they were still telling me what to do, where to be, how to act – and of course, what not to do.

 

            Ever since I can remember I would make mental notes of the rights and wrongs of the adults who were actually good and of those who were a great deal like the evil and nasty ones I saw on television.  I saw their mistakes and then their cover-ups.  I saw them take credit for things they didn’t do and point blame onto someone else for things they did.

 

            I have witnessed them start wars and wave flags.  I have seen the sad, vacant stare of those left behind and I have seen the Oak tree on the hill where they buried my brother.

 

            I don’t need to travel there to read his headstone; I already know what it says. 
 
 
Wisdom doesn’t always come with age. 

 

             

1 comment:

Pauline said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.