Sunday, November 4, 2012

Glowie-eyed Creatures


On Mondays and Thursdays
no matter the day -
 
I walk into town
it’s a footpath away –
 
I buy up a butter, an egg
and some booze -
 
I pick up a bread and yesterday’s news,
 
My cabin’s decrepit
a shambles to see -
 
But just out of town
it’s a castle to me –
 
I have me a table, a chair
and a light -
 
And some glowie-eyed creatures
that show up at night -
 
I’ve got me a pencil, a pad
and some chew –
 
I occasionally spit
after writing to you -
 
For all that I have
there’s just one thing I lack -
 
A friend with a pencil
to just write me back –
 
Someone with a table
a bread and an egg -
 
A folded up matchbook
stuck under one leg –
 
A friend who could write
with nothing to say -
 
And send it to me
just a footpath away –
 
Then I’d have me a tree
with an old tripping root -
 
The one that I curse
when I fall on my snoot –
 
I’d have all the things
on this glorious day -
 
For I’d have gotten letter
from a footpath away –
 
It’s on cloudy Wednesdays
I strike up a fire –
 
I click up the lamp
only one click up higher -
 
I take out the book
though I’ve read it before –
 
And look where I left off
no - one page before -
 
The hero was chasing
though he seemed to be late -
 
A villain already
across chapter eight –
 
Tuesday’s of course
I mop up the floor -
 
I sweep out the corners
like never before –
 
And I oil the hinges
that hang every door -
 
I load up the washer
with colors and brights –
 
Gather my darks, my shirts
and my whites –
 
Sprinkle in soap
as the water floods in -
 
Then float half a lime
in a small glass of gin –
 
It’s Fridays, of course
that I love to see -
 
The air it is fresh
the wind, it is free –
 
It’s a gift that delivers
the weekend to me -
 
By Saturday night
my mind is adorning  -
 
The weekly events
that make Sunday Morning –
 
I arrange and embellish
I garnish and splash –
 
Add too many commas
an occasional dash –
 
I end it when I’ve
not a thing left to say –
 
Then wait for reply
from a footpath away.
 
 
 
 
 
 
ZC
 
 
 


1 comment:

Pauline said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.