Friday, November 23, 2012

That's a Little Magical if you Think About it


 
 

 
          It was in the window of an antique shop that was going out of business.  There was something magical or mysterious about it or maybe that’s just the way it made me feel, I’m not sure.  In either case I wanted it.
 
          The shopkeeper said she wanted $10.00 for it.  I thought about it for a while as I looked at other things around the place.  Then I went back to it inspecting for chips, cracks and general imperfections.  There weren’t any.  It was even signed on the bottom by the artist.
 
          The more I held it the more I liked it.  I dug a twenty from my wallet and handed it over.  The antique dealer gave me a ten and a five and then carefully wrapped this ceramic pitcher in tissue paper and placed it into a bag. 
 
          I instantly wanted to tell them they had given me too much change but then remembered my first impression; this pitcher was special – somehow magical, so I didn’t say anything.  I put the change into my wallet and drove away with my treasure.
 
          That was six years ago and for six years now I have been unable to enjoy this wonderful piece.  Instead of its beauty I see a shady transaction; I see myself as some greedy, unscrupulous customer slithering up and down the aisles, taking advantage of poor shopkeepers unable to count back correct change. 
 
          I’m wondering now if this is the special power of this piece - its ability to taunt; reflecting like a Twilight Zone mirror - undistorted and unflattering images of its owner.   Maybe it was never intended to hold refreshing beverages or chilled sangria; perhaps it holds only character flaws and lacks the ability to pour them out.





       
 
 


1 comment:

Pauline said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.