Sunday, January 2, 2022

The Ashtray

 

I came across a pedestal ashtray in the glen.  It had no place being there, but there it was.  Looking around I could see fields, wonderful trees and even a small brook, nothing to suggest an upcoming conference, stuffed with old men and fat cigars.

The air was clean.  I took in a deep breath and the fragrance of lilac tickled my nose.  How out-of-place this thing standing here.  The only thing for miles around that was not of Nature.

It’s purpose, I expect, was the prevention of litter, and surely ground fires.  But who, who should place such a thing here in this glen?

Was it placed here as a warning?  Beware Mankind – your smoking ways shall destroy your lungs.  But still… why here in this glen?

Could it have been left by some ancient civilization whose ship was too heavy to break Earth’s gravitational pull? Did they have to leave something behind?  I wonder.

Perhaps I should take it with me.  eBay is where this should be, in plain sight of earthlings, whose nostalgia swirls like the smoldering remains of yesterday.

Everything has its own bookmark.  I expect this ashtray has simply lost its bookmark.  Without a bookmark it is likely to just be anywhere. 












No comments: