Wednesday, January 19, 2022

My Trip to the Dentist

 

I know this much – when a dog shows its teeth, you get back – stay away.

 

So yesterday, I go to this new dentist office and right off the bat, the receptionist is showing me her teeth.

 

Did I hear a snarl?  I’m not sure.

 

I fill out the forms, balancing a clipboard on my knees.

 

Around the room, sitting quietly, but looking worried, are other people.  None of them showing me their teeth.

 

Somehow, I knew better than to reach out and pat one of them on the head.

No one seemed very friendly.

 

I was hoping I was worried for nothing.  I know how I get.  I tried to remember if I had brought any treats with me.

 

I checked my pockets.

 

A lady across the room showed me her teeth.  I wondered if she knew I was looking for a treat.

 

A door opened.  Someone called for King.  King?

 

A man got up slowly, his head hanging down – like he had been up on the couch or something.  He reluctantly walked towards the lady calling his name.

 

I thought I heard him whimper.

 




 

No comments: