Wednesday, January 27, 2021

The Job - 3 Chapters now

 

Once, some many years ago, a young student, (let’s call him Dave) was struggling to decide what he should become in life.  He had always known that his father was a great doctor and seemed very happy that he had become one.   Both his mother and his aunt were artists.  His mother worked with paint and canvas, while his aunt worked with her hands.  She made wonderful creations, sculptures of wood and marble that were certainly museum worthy.

He knew, of course, he could never become a doctor.  The mere sight of blood made him queasy, not to mention it seemed a great deal of schooling was required.  The thought of sitting in a classroom for years sounded dreadful.  He also knew he didn’t have the talent for art.  It just wasn’t in him.

His friends were headed in all sorts of directions.  One was trying to get hired into the local car dealership.  His uncle worked there and always appeared happy and was ready with a joke at the toot of a horn.

He knew one of his friend’s dad was a fireman.  At one time he thought that being a fireman would be exciting and full of adventure, yet every time they would walk past the firehouse, all he would ever see were the firemen sitting in the break room, watching soap operas.  He couldn’t see himself doing that for a lifetime.

Nothing seemed to interest him enough to pursue it.  He was completely frustrated in trying to come up with a life plan.  Then one Saturday afternoon, as he was walking back from Starbucks, he noticed a sign nailed up on a phone pole.  It said,

Work at your own pace.  Earn big bucks in an

exciting, new career.  Be your own boss.  No

experience necessary.  Unlimited free time.  Paid

vacations, full benefit package from day one.

You can easily see how our young man, (we’re still calling him Dave) became so excited in reading this.  So excited, in fact, that he wanted to act on it immediately.  Where, however, was a name, or a phone number and address?  All that should have mattered on this sign seemed to be missing.  

What was the name of this company?  How much would he be making?  What would he be doing?  Did it require schooling, or a license? Did it require he drive a car, make deliveries?  He had an endless supply of questions and no answers.

Then, our hero, (you know who he is) reached up and pulled the sign from the pole.  He folded it up and stuffed it into his pocket.  At that exact moment he heard a car door close.  He looked behind him and there at the curb was a strange looking man in a tuxedo and top hat.  He had a red flower in his lapel.



 ******


 “Why did you remove my sign?” the stranger asked.

Dave just stood there for a moment, worried he had done something wrong, but then he said, “I was going to take it around and look for it’s owner.  There are a lot of unanswered questions and this sign would work much better if it contained all the needed information.  Are you the owner of this?”  Dave pulled the sheet from his pocket and held it out.

The well dressed stranger smiled, paused a moment and then his expression seemed to become serious.  “I should explain.  When I am hiring, when I am searching for a potential candidate for the position, I only post one flier.  The paper you took down is it.  It is the only one.  The reason is - I am looking for someone out of the ordinary.  I am hoping for that one person who doesn’t simply scan the classifieds for some run-of-the-mill job.  I am looking for that one in a million person who is curious, who is hungry to build themselves a life and not simply drag themselves into a factory every day.”

Dave was now even more intrigued than just moments ago. 

“What’s your name?”

“It’s David.” Came the reply.

“David, I like that.  David, I believe the moment you reached up and pulled down my sign you were taking that step into the unknown.  You are brave, you’re curious and…   David, if you’ll trust me, I will show you the work I do and the life you’ll have if you accept it.  Do you trust me Dave?”

Suddenly Dave didn’t feel so comfortable around this guy.  So far, he hasn’t told me anything. Dave thought to himself.

“Trust you how?”

“If you have the time right now - I’ll show you.”  And with that the stranger took a step back and opened the back passenger’s door. “Let’s take a ride.  It won’t take long and when we are done, if you like, I will bring you back to this very spot.”

“All my senses are telling me not to.” Dave boldly announced.

“I completely understand. Replied the well-dressed stranger.  But from your response to my inquiry about removing my sign, I can tell you are a quick thinker.  You have stood your ground and talked with me.  I mean, you haven’t backed up or ran away, so I know you are not only curious but brave as well.  What I am saying Dave, is I’m thinking you have what it takes for this profession, otherwise I wouldn’t be offering you this opportunity.  Don’t get me wrong, David.  They aren’t all plusses in your column.  You never have asked for MY name.”

 

                                                ******


Reluctantly Dave climbed into the car.  The interior was plush, rich leather and smelled of money.  The well-dressed man got in behind the wheel and as he started the car he looked back at David. 

“My name is Parker, Dave.  Do you prefer Dave or David?”

 

Dave is fine.

 

Parker turned on the radio.  It was tuned to an easy listening station and Dave smiled, as he suddenly felt like he was in an elevator.

 

“Is this Okay Dave?”

 

The music is fine, thanks.

 

Instead of paying attention to the fine interior of the car, Dave should have been paying attention to where they were going.  By the time Dave thought to look out at their surroundings, they had arrived.  The long, expensive car had pulled into a driveway and under an overhang.

 

“We’re here Dave.”

 

Once out of the car Dave took his first look at the building.  He couldn’t believe it.  It was Parker’s Funeral Home.

 

You’re Mr. Parker?

 

“Yes, Dave.  I am the town’s mortician and I’m hoping to find an apprentice to join my business.  Can I show you around?”


Sure.

 

Dave followed Mr. Parker into the lobby of the funeral home.  The carpet felt thick and cushy under his feet.  The place smelled of flowers and that same easy-listening music was playing in the background.

 

Parker stopped at the large mahogany reception desk and picked up a pamphlet and handed it to Dave.  Kids never consider this profession when they are trying to decide what to do with their lives, but it is an honorable profession and a needed service.   Of course, you could make much more money as a computer programmer, but is sitting at a desk all day what you want for your future?  Does working in a loud, dirty factory really appeal to anyone?

Dave, I sell care.  When family members call me, they are looking for someone to step in and take over.  They’re looking for a gentle, knowledgeable hand to guide them through the process.  As you can see, I work in a clean and comfortable environment.  There are no loud factory whistles telling you it is Okay to take a lunch break.  This isn’t an endless row of programmers all staring at a computer screen for eight hours a day.

 

What exactly would I be doing?

 

“The first thing I would do Dave is send you to classes at the community college.  There are very specific courses you’ll need to take, and then a license you will have to apply for from the State.  I will pay for all of that if you agree to work here for at least three years.  After that time, if you decide this isn’t for you, you’ll be free to go your own way.  But Dave, from what I’ve seen so far, I believe you are a good fit.   Come-on, lets continue the tour.

 

 

Dave followed Mr. Parker down a long, carpeted hallway.  They stopped at each room and Parker explained things as they went.

The entire time Parker was talking, Dave kept wondering if he was going to see any dead people.  There must be dead people, Dave thought to himself, this is where they bring them.

As they entered the coffin showroom, Dave couldn’t help but be dazzled by the look of everything.  It was like they were new cars, all polished, chrome gleaming from the bright spotlights pointed at them.  And all so quiet.  Dave noticed the background music was not playing in this room, so he asked.

 

Why no music in here?

 

Excellent question Dave.  People in this room make important decisions.  The things agreed upon in here involve money and feelings and a seriousness that music would only interrupt, it would distract from the process.  Believe it or not, this is the most somber room in the building.  Even the crematory in back has music playing, but we don’t take family members back there.  That wouldn’t be appropriate.

 

I notice you refer to them as family members and not customers. Dave said.

 

It is important they view this as a process and not a business, Dave.  We are helping them to process their loved ones.  In fact, that is one of the traits I noticed in you.  You were frustrated at the lack of information on the sign I posted on the phone pole, but when I confronted you about tearing it down, you didn’t want to hurt my feelings.  You did a little soft-shoe and talked your way out of the situation.  I liked that.  You noticed the lack of music in the display room.  This isn't a job interview.  That was back at the phone poll, so you can relax.  I'm already sold on you Dave, but if this isn't right for you I will drive you back to where we met.


When do I need to decide by?


But before Parker had a chance to respond someone started banging frantically on the back door.



 to be continued




 






 

 

 

 

No comments: