Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Factory Windows

 

Larry ran the forklift, usually way too fast down the aisles.  Yellow stripes were painted on the floor for safety.

I didn’t really know Skip.  He was just one of the machine operators, kept to himself, brought his lunch from home. Ate by himself.

Mr. Gleeson was one of the suits.  I don’t think I ever saw him smile.  He mostly stayed in the front office.

Linda ran the giant press just outside of the paint booth.  She always ate lunch with Sonya, Ruth and Teresa at the picnic tables.

The last time I saw Bob, he was looking back at the factory from the backseat of a police car.  Mr. Gleeson and a couple other suits were there when they came and took him away.

Scotty manned the booth at the front of the parking lot.  He was always nice.  Looking back at it all, I wish I had walked out and had lunch with him a few times.  He was always nice.

I saw Larry a few years back, in the food court at the mall.  He had his hands full with his twin girls, while his wife was shopping for their birthday.   I never even knew he was married.   He said that he had heard Scotty had passed away shortly after the factory closed.





I wish he hadn't told me. 




 


No comments: