Thursday, December 17, 2020

Brain Surgery - No Thanks

 

I am aware that the clothes I have already worn are in the laundry basket and the fresh, clean ones are hanging up.  I know the very basics of an automobile and am completely aware of the dangers and hazards of driving one.  I believe I have a firm grasp of conversational English and a rudimentary understanding of sign language for the deaf.

 

My motor skills appear normal for my age and my instincts, up to this point in time, have served me well, The part I cannot comprehend is why my brain does not realize it has had a stroke.  Apparently, it is not self-aware.

 

How can a brain not be aware of itself?  How does a house not know there is a window open somewhere letting the cold air in?  The furnace knows.  It is suddenly working harder to heat the house.  The curtains know.  They are excitedly flapping to alert someone, anyone.

 

A few houses along the same street have noticed the open window but so far have not said anything.  Why is that?  An open window is not contagious.  Maybe it’s my neighborhood watch.  Maybe they have fallen down on the job.  Surely an open window would be worthy of their report.

 

Thinking about it, however, these are volunteer positions.  No one is getting paid to participate in a neighborhood watch program.  Maybe my brain looks at things the same way.  


"Why should I snitch?  What’s in it for me?"

 




No comments: