Monday, November 16, 2020

I just think he could do better

 

Apparently, I am not a part of the masses.  I have made several attempts to read books by the popular authors, like John Grisham.  He magically turns out more books than is possible to write in the timespan reflected between publishing.  Either he employs a team of writers and they simply use the Grisham name, or he doesn’t take time out for meals.

Anyway, they seem to write for the masses.  The more books sold, the more money made.  Simple.

Just today I made another attempt to read one of his works.  I enjoy the law and courtroom stories, but his latest work, by chapter two, takes a dark turn.  It tells, in graphic detail, of a gruesome murder.

I’m sorry, but for me that is not entertainment.  It is not fun to read and certainly not fun to retain as a memory.  If that is what the masses like, then I take that as proof that I am an outcast.

How hard could it be just to tell a simple, enjoyable story?  Isn’t the evening news bad enough?   Do we really need to fill our bookstores and libraries with it?

Yes, you are right.  I usually don’t break into a rant, but seriously folks, what’s the matter with Charlotte’s Web?  Okay, wait… maybe that’s a bad example.  Right off the farther wants to slaughter a baby pig with an ax.

Forget that.  How about Animal Farm, by George Orwell?  Oops, I forgot.  Once again there was an uprising, animals plotting against farmers and what-have-you.

So maybe the good-old-days weren’t all that much fun either.  But you see my point, right?

 

I have spent the last 8 years writing this blog.  No one has been murdered, nothing has blown up, there isn’t any warning about graphic detail, strong language or animals being turned into breakfast food.


It is just 8 years of silly stories, goofy pictures and more nonsense than is required by the recommended daily allowance people.

 

I’m done now.  I’ll shut up, and I'll try not to rant in the future.






No comments: