Thursday, November 19, 2020

A Day in the Life

 

          Edgar Meckel, known to his friends as Momo, sat at a table for one, at the far end of Lepski's Diner.  His day hadn't gone so well, but then… none of his days ever really went well.

         His oldest daughter, Mary, had come home yesterday with a tattoo of Ben Franklin.   Three weeks ago his twin boys had filled out and mailed in forms to join the Navy.  They are 11 years old.  Momo hadn't discovered this until a Navy recruiter showed up at his door asking to see Hector and Mickey.

          This morning when Momo got up for work he found a note on his wife's side of the bed. 

 



 

          Momo sat motionless, staring at his breakfast until the waitress finally came over and asked him if anything was wrong.  He looked up at her with tears in his eyes.  " Ben Franklin." He said.

          "I meant with the eggs, Honey.  Is there anything wrong with the eggs"?

 

From the next table over…

         

          "Excuse me, but I heard you talking about Ben Franklin.  Mind if I join you?  (He says as he changes tables and sits across from Momo)  I'm Gabe Abraham.  I own The Outside Inn.  I'm very familiar with Benjamin Franklin."

 

Momo:  "My daughter came home yesterday with a tattoo."   Momo replied still staring down at his breakfast.

 

Gabe:  "Yea, tell me about it.  Kids.  Go figure.  What is it a tattoo of?"

 

Momo:  (Looking up at Gabe)  "Benjamin Franklin.  She has a tattoo of Benjamin Franklin.  Now how am I supposed to compete with that?"

 

Gabe:  "Compete?  I don't understand."

 

Momo:  "I thought I was her hero.  I've always been her hero, and now I'm not.  Franklin was a scientist, an inventor, a statesman, a printer, a philosopher, a musician, and an economist.  My God, how do I compete with that?  I sew the eyes on sock puppets down at Winky's." 

 

Gabe: "You haven't told me your name." (Holding his hand out)

 

Momo:  "Edgar Meckel.  My friends call me Momo." (Shaking hands)

 

Gabe:  "Look Momo, it's simple.  All you have to do is join her in her new found excitement.  Learn all you can about Mr. Franklin, Quote him when the opportunity arises, but don't go overboard."

Unbeknownst to Momo and Gabe, the waitress had overheard their conversation and was shocked to hear that Momo worked at the sock puppet factory.  As a small child she had a frightening sock puppet experience that left her mentally debilitated, causing her to resent and torment her little kitten, Argyle.

 

 

 

1 comment:

Pauline said...

You are leaving me with questions, mostly what happened to Argyle?? He was left - RIGHT??