Wednesday, January 9, 2019

In the Beginning


*
I could hear them at night, and had I not looked down into the well I would have never seen them.


*
The table was set, the house was warm and inviting but there was just a hint of something odd.  There was an additional smell to the aroma of dinner and I couldn’t place it, but my senses were telling me to run.


*
Sam stood over by the fireplace sipping on his drink.  Mary and Rudy were quietly clearing the dinner table while Scott kept looking at me, waiting to see if anyone was going to bring up the elephant in the room.  After the dishes were done and we were all seated in the family room I just blurted it out.  “OK, so I bought her from the Zoo.  I know what you’re thinking and yes, I’ll move her to the garage as she gets too big for the house.”



*
Frustrated he had never solved this case, in a last ditch effort he surreptitiously attended the funeral.  He had just about given up hope but then spotted what the wife quietly slipped into the coffin.




No comments: