Thursday, April 16, 2015

Where You Left Off


I discovered where you had left off as you had turned the corner of the page over to mark your place.  It was my intention to read from the beginning, but the book seemed to fall open right at your mark, like it too was waiting to see what happens next. 
 
This, of course, isn’t my first reading of The Undertaking, by Thomas Lynch, (Life studies from the dismal trade) but enough pavement has pasted beneath my feet so reading it again will seem like visiting an old friend. 
 
Since talking with you last I discovered, Smoke Gets in your Eyes, by Caitlin Doughty.  Once you get past the subject matter, I believe you’ll find her approach as refreshing as it is intelligent.  Be sure to also watch her videos on the Internet.  She is a real hoot.

Getting back to Mr. Lynch’s book, I found the bright spot you spoke of on page 151.  It is a quote from Jack Handy – of Deep Thoughts fame. 

 

Instead of having “answers” on a math test,
they should just call them “impressions”, and
if you get a different “impression” so what,
can’t we all be brothers?
 

 
As for the subject matter of both books, immediately after reading I noticed a large bottle of Gordon's, and there was  a strong help-yourself air about the room.


 

No comments: