Thursday, April 2, 2015

Seems Like I Could Have Done Something

 
In the parking lot of a local Supermarket
three ducks
drinking from a puddle of rain water.
 
It never occurred to me to question
the dip in the asphalt -
I didn’t think to ponder the weather -
 
My notice focused upon the number three.
 
How odd, I thought, a duck to be missing.
They are forever in pairs -
You see a duck
and there’s another.
It’s just always that way.  Pairs of socks -
pairs of ducks.
 
Driving further into town and there she was
On her own.  Self-reliant, facing the World -
Quack, she went.  Quack.
 
Perhaps divorce?  They’re always messy.
Maybe a simple spat?
 
It could have been a wrong turn, a miss-direction
given at some crucial point in flight.
 
Quacks of Joy?  A call for help?  I had no way of knowing.
 
“Hey, they're at the market having a drink.”
 
I pointed towards the market as I drove passed her.
 
I don’t know - maybe I should have stopped.
 
 

No comments: