Monday, March 4, 2013

Now in Paperback


I vaguely remember reading about B.F. Skinner back in school.  He was a firm believer that behavior could be easily modified.  It could be taught through repetitiveness and positive reinforcement.  If you have someone do something a certain way long enough that is the way they will continue to do it.

 
Keep in mind that I may not be recalling it exactly - and there was probably more to it than that, but you get the gist. 

 
Now, a few weeks back, while cleaning my electric razor it sprung apart.  Small and large pieces flew off in all directions and none of what remained behind looked like it could ever be put back together.

 
So I purchased a new & improved replacement razor.  When I got it home and unpacked it, I took the little booklet and sat under my reading lamp and read it from cover to cover.  (At least the section that was in English)  I figured I would learn all about it before I even tried it out.

 
The thing I discovered was that the book was very repetitive.  It kept saying the same thing over and over.  You must use this razor for three weeks straight, uninterrupted by any other shaving method.

 
Gee… They wouldn’t be trying to modify my behavior would they?

 

Their money-back guarantee is the positive reinforcement at the end of the stick, and they are obviously gambling on me getting so accustomed to using this razor that I’ll not consider anything else after the three week period.

 
I can honestly say that after having tried the razor now a few times I am far more impressed by the booklet than the razor.  Had they spent just a little more money beefing up the quality of the product and less on the psychological hooey in their pamphlet, this report would have a much smoother feel to it.

 
I will, however, give it the full three week test and report my findings.

 

 Philips - Norelco

 
The information booklet sort of reminds me of that book I read some time back; it was called The Hitch-hiker, by: Anita Lift.
 

 
 
 
Hair-raising.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: