Friday, March 29, 2013

Comprehending the Threshold


It was one of Thoreau’s ambitions to improve upon the nick of time.  I would rather conqueror that transitional moment between awareness and sleep.  Somewhere between fluffing one’s pillow and having no recollection of the bed a small mental switch gets flipped. 

 

The moment of waiting for sleep to arrive leaves me anxious, as if hoping to catch a glimpse of Santa.  Each night I tell myself, “This will be the night.  Tonight I’ll stay awake throughout the entire transition.  I will see the exact moment when I fall asleep and then I will understand the process.  I will gain a modicum of knowledge about that threshold and I will know where to find it again whenever I wish.”

 

          I remember when light switches would make a loud snapping noise when they were flipped on or off.  Then someone invented the silent switch.  No more noise, just a smooth, quiet transition between light and dark.  I expect the person who invented that quiet switch had, only nights before, conquered that transitional moment that I speak of.  They must have seen for themselves the mechanism that takes us quietly into sleep.

 

          There must be some correlation between the old fashioned light switch and a hypnotist, as each required that snapping sound.  “…and when I snap my fingers, you’ll awake, feeling refreshed and completely rested.”
 
         Without fingers there would be no snaping sound and consequently no hypnotists - or if there were they would have employed the use of light switches at the end of their performance.

“…and when I flip this switch you’ll awake.”

 

          You may think this a foolish endeavor but who shall have the last laugh when there I am - wide-awake in the midst of sleep?

 

          Beyond this, I will attempt to comprehend how a hypnotist without fingers might flip on a light switch.

 
 

No comments: