Monday, August 22, 2022

Sole Mates

 

I have gotten to a point where I can no longer simply sum-up my life.

It doesn’t fit into a nutshell and there are way too many important highlights to single out any one in particular.

My story can only be conveyed through my shoes.  So many, many years ago they sat proudly on a display rack.  They smelled of rich, soft leather and they seemed to warrant the asking price.  From day one, my feet were happy.  They comfortably hugged and cushioned me against the harsh realities of life.

Needless to say, we went everywhere together.  Should I happen to break into a run, they kept pace, step for step.  On those occasions I was required to tread softly through a library, they never made a peep.  I had found my sole mates.

Sure, what you see today is worn and somewhat scruffy, but they can still handle the curves, stop on a dime, and quickly change directions at any mother-in-law sighting.

They have done well on foreign soil, repelled with ease the occasional misstep into a puddle and have taken a shine to any formal gathering.

At trails end, I have no trouble letting them speak for me.  We have stood facing life together.  There are no regrets.

When I look at the shoes of today, with their high price tags and man-made uppers, I can’t imagine myself having to go through life with such things on my feet.  It would seem such an uncomfortable journey, I'd sooner take the bus.





zc



No comments: