Thursday, April 1, 2021

by its cover

 

A book has to grab me by the first or second sentence or I bail.   If it sounds too far-fetched, goofy or stupid I’m outta there.   Lists are another thing that will chase me off.  I don’t mind if the main character walks into an antique shop, but the minute they start describing everything they see, I’m gone.  They are just trying to fill pages.  To me, that’s not writing.

 

Even though I’m not supposed to judge a book by its cover, it is the cover that causes me to pick it up to begin with.  I expect the reason that adage has survived so long is that 99% of the time, after inspecting the first page, I set the book down and move on.

 

I don’t recommend this process, as I am sure I have missed out on some good stories by bailing too soon.  On a more positive note, I have enjoyed some sentences to the point of writing them down, just so I could read them again at some later date to enjoy them all over again.

 

Examples:

 

“In the chilly hours and minutes, of uncertainty…”     

(Bob Dylan)

 

“His shoes wore the fragrance of well-traveled leather…” (Allison Hoover Bartlett)

 

Dark whispers skulk through rooms like silent shadows moving along baseboards, avoiding the light of day.   Dangerous allegations that - properly illuminated would never raise an eyebrow, in darkness tend to find the fertile soil of shallow minds.                

(Z. Corwin)

 

 *******


Listed under the, Not Impressed, category:


"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Make up your mind people.


The tale of two cities.

Pick one moron,  then write a second book.  What's the matter with you?


"The Old Man and the Sea."

Spoiler alert!










 

 

No comments: