Saturday, October 3, 2020

Some say all my bases aren't loaded


I sat in traffic last week, long enough to watch part of some neighborhood baseball game being played in a field not far from the road.  The pitcher wound up and put one right across home plate.  

The batter popped it up; it hung there momentarily and then plopped back into the waiting mitt of the pitcher.  I wanted to watch some more but the smoking, rusted car in front of me started to move, so the last glimpse I had of the game was of the proud pitcher turning to the outfield and taking several bows.  I hadn’t seen that much ham since Easter.

For some reason I know I’ll forever retain the image of that pitcher taking bows.  The silliness of it seemed to add a spark of humanity to an otherwise unmemorable event.

I believe it to be the silliness that I see every day, as I look around at life and it is that which fills my empty brain cells.  Cells, that in others, are full of math, science, current events and proper comma usage.  For me, everyday life is like a thick syrup, ever so slowly pouring over my brain filling millions of cells with silly observations.

Look around.  It doesn’t take much effort to see the silliness.  Example: at the new mall, just down the road, they put up a huge building and they call it, Outdoor World.  I bet someone, somewhere is still taking bows for that one. 

This is Zobostic Corwin suggesting that if you are out of school and don’t have to take any more tests – go and flush the Political Science and Calculus out of your brain and make room for a little silliness.  Just go out and look around, even if you have to take an intentional walk.





No comments: