Saturday, March 28, 2015

Mnemonic Devices - I Seem to Recall


All cows eat grass  (A.C.E.G.)

Every good boy deserves fudge (E.G.B.D.F.)

I remember these but forget what they mean.  I think they had something to do with playing musical cords, but I’m not sure.  Throughout my life, now and then, I have tried to play various instruments without any success.   I haven’t got whatever it takes to comprehend musical notes and then transfer that knowledge through my hands in order to strum a piano or pound out a tune on a guitar.  Even today I have a Honner International harmonica sitting here on my desk and at best I can only make obnoxious squeaks on the thing.  They’re not even old, familiar squeaks, they’re just squeaks.  

So along the margins of my memoirs you’ll not find any toe tapping melodies jotted down.  The Antiques Road Show, however, would be impressed as I still have the original harmonica box.  At auction I’m guessing it would fetch between 9 and 11 cents.

With respect to mnemonic devices I also recall, the quick brown fox – something, something.  I believe that dealt with typing skills, which is also listed on the negative side of my abilities list.  To this day I type using only my index fingers.  Speed and accuracy are never discussed. 

Perhaps there is some weird correlation between musical instruments and typewriters.

(F.I.G.U.R.E.S.)


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: